Are You Ready to Hunt Morels?
There’s a very small window of opportunity to find mushrooms before they are gone for another year.
Here are 20 ways to know that mushrooms are finally up, as compiled by Morel Mushroom Hunting.
A top secret list of tell-tale signs that morel mushrooms are poppin’!
1. Robin’s “flirting” in the yard.
2. One week after 1st dandelion.
3. Third mow of your lawn.
4. Wild Turkeys are gobbling.
5. Pileated Woodpecker tapping.
6. Elm leaves size of squirrel’s ear.
7. Cottonwood trees greening up.
8. Dogwoods & Redbud flowering.
9. Lilacs close to blooming.
10. Asparagus spears are up.
11. Ramp (aka wild leek) matured.
12. Mayapples are up and opening.
13. Trillium in bloom.
14. Bloodroot blooming.
15. Bass have moved shallow.
16. Turtles & Snakes active.
17. 45-50+ degree nights.
18. Warm spell with recent rain.
19. Freaking-out waiting on the season to start!
And the top sign is…
20. My boot prints in your morel mushroom patch!
Tell us what you think in the comments section below.